The Square shopping centre in Tallaght is set to be transformed with plans for a new €100 million extension.
It will see parts of the second and third level of the shopping centre developed with new shops, food units, a marketplace and public plaza.
The extension will cover the car park currently located at the south end of the second floor – where New Look, River Island and Argos are located.
It will see those using the familiar blue footbridge – linking the Square and Old Bawn – arrive directly at the front door of the centre.
And the overflow car park on the third floor will be the location of the new outdoor plaza and a number of retail units.
The Square opened in 1990 and will celebrate its 30th birthday this year.
The design statement for the proposal by Lafferty Architects says: “The applicant has a long-term vision for The Square Tallaght to create a regional retail, food and leisure destination at the heart of integrated town centre.
“It retains a strong mix of tenants, however, as a product of its time, it lacks larger retail units and has a low overall percentage of food and beverage units.”
The plans have been submitted to South Dublin County Council, and the public are able to submit observations until January 29.
The owners, Oaktree Capital Management, bought the centre for €250 million in 2018.
A new local area plan for Tallaght town centre was introduced recently, and hopes to see the bustling area become a hub for the local community.
As part of the plan, there will be a number of schemes delivered including:
- Delivery of between 3,000 and 5,000 new homes
- Delivery of a mix of new employment spaces
- Development of Tallaght Stadium’s Fourth Stand
- Redevelopment, enhancement of the Square Shopping Centre
- Provision of cycling and pedestrian infrastructure links
- Provision of new schools
- Improvements to the street network including extensions to Airton Road and Cookstown Road
- Enhancement of existing green spaces
- Creation of a network of public open spaces
- Development of new transport interchange at the Square
- Enhanced bus services across the centre
- District heating system (HeatNet)