Google today released the first preview version of Android 12 for owners of devices ranging from Pixel 3 to Pixel 5. With “normal” software updates, installation is as easy as looking for Updates in the app. Settings. However, with the developer previews, things are a bit different, as you will have to “flash” Android 12 on your Pixel. Installing the Android Preview won’t erase your data, but it’s always good practice to create a backup before you start. If something goes wrong during the installation process, a backup will ensure that you won’t lose any of your photos, videos, text messages, or any other data stored on your phone.
Install Android 12 Developer Preview via SDK
First, prepare your computer:
- Open SDK Platform Tools on the Google developer website
- Select the file corresponding to your operating system, accept the terms of service and press the download button.
- Open the ZIP file and extract the folder inside. You can extract the folder wherever you want, just make sure you remember where you put it for future reference.
- When the platform-tools folder is extracted, double-click it to open it.
- Opens the OTA files page of Google’s Android 12 Developer Preview
- Click on the file for your Pixel model, agree to the terms of service, and then hit the download button.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the zip file, copy the zip file and paste it in the platform-tools folder that we have left open
Next, prepare your Pixel:
- On your Pixel smartphone go to Settings> About phone and scroll to the end
- Tap the build number 7 times to activate developer mode
- Go to Settings> System> Advanced> Developer options and turn on USB debugging
- Hold down the power button and tap on Restart
- Press and hold the volume down button while the phone restarts
- When the phone restarts in Fastboot mode, use the volume rocker to go to Recovery mode and press the power button to select it
- On the next screen, press and hold the power and volume up buttons
- Hold the buttons for five seconds and then release the volume up button to enter the recovery mode menu
- Use the volume button to highlight Apply update from ADB
- Press the power button to make your selection
- Connect your Pixel smartphone to your PC with a USB-C cable
Install Android 12 from your PC:
- On your computer, click on the zip file that we have copied to the platform-tools folder
- Highlight the file name and zip extension and press Ctrl + C to copy the file name
- Click on the folder’s navigation bar, type CMD and hit Enter
- In the command prompt window that opens, type adb devices and hit enter to verify that your phone is connected correctly
- Type adb sideload and hit Ctrl + V to paste the zip file name
- Hit enter to start the Android 12 Developer Preview installation.
Install Android 12 Developer Preview via Android Flash Tool
- Open Chrome on your computer
- Navigate to the Android Flash Tool in Chrome.
- Connect your compatible Pixel phone to your PC with a USB-C cable
- Select your Pixel from the list of connected devices.
- Select the software version you want to install.
- Build ID: 7145137
- Choose if you want to erase the device and / or block the bootloader.
- Click the Install button
- Click Confirm.
- Follow the onscreen prompts.