Jason Manford explains why show must go on for his touring musical

Must Read

Google TV will have support for several users, but is it really good for anything?

The new Google Chromecast not only represents a revolution with respect to the concept of the HDMI dongle in its previous generations, but also...

YouTube Music now lets you listen to the music you store in the cloud in your car

When we are a few weeks away from Play Music dying and YouTube Music taking over the throne of Google's music streaming, new news...

The Huawei Mate 40 Pro is now official: All its features

Huawei today presented its new flagship for the second half of the year, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro. The new smartphone arrives, as main...

Huawei FreeBuds Studio: This is how Huawei’s most ambitious headphones look

The Chinese manufacturer Huawei today presented its new high-end smartphone Huawei Mate 40 Pro but the news has not stopped there. At the same...
Brian Adam
Professional Blogger, V logger, traveler and explorer of new horizons.

Jason Manford has explained why he had not pulled out of his touring musical amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The comedian said he had been getting messages urging him to cancel the current tour of Curtains The Musical, a comedy whodunnit which also stars Ore Oduba and Carley Stenson, as concern about the spread of Covid-19 continues to grow.

With shows coming up in Leicester, High Wycombe, Wolverhampton and Southampton, Manford said lots of people are financially dependent on them going ahead.

In a statement shared on Twitter, he wrote: “Keep getting the odd, shall we say ‘forceful’ message about it somehow being my choice to ‘put my foot down’ & cancel the current tour I’m in.

“Unfortunately I, like many people, irrespective of my opinion have a) a contract and a boss who’s decision this is and b) have a lot of people depending on the income of a tour this size.

“At a push I could financially get through half a year not working before it became a problem financially but if I decided to not go to Leicester on Monday say, the show would still go on as I have an understudy.

“With cast, crew, band & the folks in the office (not to mention the hundreds of zero-hour contract folks who work in the theatres) there are over 100 people all working on this show and if they suddenly cancelled it without the Government’s say so, their insurance would be null and void putting a lot of those people in financial ruin.

“So please do not patronise me about the seriousness of the pandemic, I’m well aware, I get the same news channels as you; I just have a responsibility to these people to make sure that when the worst happens they are in the strongest position to get through it.”

The show centres around a mystery after a musical theatre star is murdered on stage on opening night and the entire cast and crew are suspects.

Manford plays local detective Frank Cioffi, who is also a huge musical theatre fan.

The next performance of the show will be at the Haymarket Theatre in Leicester on Monday March 16.