One of the best changes we can make in a computer is to change the hard drive we use for an SSD with similar or better characteristics. However, many users do not dare to carry out the whole process themselves, since this means having to replace one disk with another, make a backup copy of everything in case there is a problem, not lose anything, install the operating system on it. SSD and pass all the data from the old hard drive. But if you don’t want to have to do all this, we are going to show you how to clone hard drive to SSD.
Before doing any type of cloning, the first thing we have to do is invest some time in examining and preparing the hard disk, since there will be many things that we can do.
- We should delete all those files that is no longer good for anything, that is, they are junk files.
- They would also have to disappear applications that we have installed and that we do not use.
- We should pass the antivirus in the most exhaustive way you have, to make sure that we do not have any type of infection that we can clone on the SSD.
Once we have all this clear and verified, it would be a good time to make a hard drive backup in case there is some kind of problem when cloning it. In this way we can always retrieve the information and we will be much more relaxed.
Clone a hard drive to an SSD
There are several applications that we can use for the process of cloning a hard drive to an SSD, but we have opted for AOEMI Partition Assistant, a software that can be downloaded for free, although it has some limitations, but none that prevent us from performing the cloning without problems.
Once we have downloaded the program and installed it on our Windows 10 operating system, it is time to see how it works and how we are going to be able to clone a Hard Drive to an SSD.
- We open the program and we realize that all the disk drives that we have in the computer will come out. At the bottom, where the units come out vertically is where we must do click on the unit name, for example, disk 0.
- After that we will see that on the left side of the screen we have two menus, one called Assistants and another called Disk operations.
- Within the latter, we are going to click on the option Clone Disk.
- Once we click, a window appears where we must choose the type of cloning. yes we want it Quick or slower and more precise as it would be, Sector to Sector. Each one will choose which one they think is best, but we must bear in mind that sector by sector cloning will clone everything, even sectors that have not even been used.
- After pressing Next we see how he asks us to indicate what the target disk of this cloning. it does not ask us for the origin, because we have already indicated it in the first point.
- Then we will have to choose if we want Clone without resizing partitions, Fit partitions to entire disk or Edit partitions on this disk. At this point, each one must choose what is best for them. Once decided, click on next and then on Finalize.
- Now it takes us to the main menu again and all we have to do is click on Apply, which is located at the top right of the screen.
- It will open another window where it will show us from which disk to which disk the cloning will be carried out. It is time to click on Proceed and wait for the process to finish. In this window we can see an estimate of how long the cloning will take.
If we have cloned the disk with the operating system
If we have cloned a hard drive where our operating system was to an SSD, we must restart the computer and enter the BIOS to tell him that the new album SSD is the one to choose for boot the pc. Depending on each computer, the normal thing is that we can enter the BIOS by pressing the f8, f10, del or similar keys at the moment the computer starts to boot. We must pay attention to which is the key that we have to press to enter the BIOS, being able to use the pause key, to freeze the moment when this message appears when starting the computer.
Once inside we have to look for the section boot order or boot order and select the SSD as the first option, so that the system reads this unit first and the operating system boots without any problem. If we do not do this, Windows 10 will continue to load the old hard drive, which will make the clone useless. We must not forget save changes and then the operating system should be restarted from the SSD.
If everything goes well, we will see how when the system starts from the SSD, we will have everything as we left it on the old hard drive. Of course, the performance that we are going to experience on our computer will be considerably. In addition, the old hard drive we can format it and leave it connected to the computer as a storage disk.
More cloning software
If AOEMI Partition Assistant does not convince you and you want to try other software, the truth is that there are several that could help us to perform the same task.
Acronis True Image
We can use Acronis True Image, a software that specializes in backup copies, but that is one of the most complete programs that we can have today in everything that has to do with copies, since we can clone any type of unit without too many problems.
EaseUS Todo Backup
This is a well-known free program with which we can make backup copies, clone disks, partitions and a few more things. The truth is that EaseUS Todo Backup we will be able to transfer everything we have on a hard drive to an SSD quite simply, since the interface is very user-friendly and intuitive. the process is very similar to that of all the programs we have seen.