We use WhatsApp at all hours, and that is probably why it is the first one we realise if it is failing. Notifications do not always reach us correctly, we do not see them as they should, or messages do not contact us until we open the application. In these cases, we explain how to fix WhatsApp notifications or what are the most common failures they usually suffer.
The first thing you have to do to fix WhatsApp notifications is to find where the problem is or what may be happening. Set up your phone correctly to ensure that it is not one of the usual failures: you have the Internet, no option to restrict data is activated …
Check that you have the Internet.
Make sure you have Internet from your mobile phone. Check that you can access any web page from the browser that you have installed or that the other applications work correctly. If you do not have the Internet, this may be the reason that WhatsApp notifications are not reaching you.
Make sure your phone has sound.
If you get the notification, but the sound does not reach you notifying you of a new message, make sure you have volume and tone on the phone at that time. You can also go to the “Sound” section of your phone to check precisely what is the amount of notifications since maybe it is too low.
Restart the mobile
It may seem obvious or almost absurd but many times restarting the mobile phone is the best way to solve fundamental problems. Maybe this way, you can fix WhatsApp notifications, and once you turn it on again, they will work correctly, and everything will continue to function normally. If not, try the following solutions Since the following problems are usually the most common and frequent.
Do Not Disturb Mode
One of the most common reasons why a WhatsApp notification may not reach us or messages may not contact us until we open the application is because we have activated Do Not Disturb Mode. This means that notifications are not sent even if the app works usually. Make sure it is disabled.
- Open mobile phone settings
- Look for the section of Sound / Sounds and vibration
- Choose the “Do not disturb” option
- Check that Do Not Disturb Mode is not activated
Stop the application
It may seem useless or even obvious, but many times the best way to fix notifications from WhatsApp or any other application is to stop the app for a few seconds and start it again. It will only take you a minute to do it, and this will unlock something that could have hung.
- Touch and hold the app icon
- Click on the information button of the options
- It will open application information
- Click on Stop
- Confirm with the “Stop” button in the popup window
Close sessions on WhatsApp Web
It is possible that you have left a meeting open on WhatsApp Web and the notifications do not come out because they are already on the computer version. Or even because someone may be using your WhatsApp and reading the messages. In that case and to rule out that this is the problem, you can close all sessions. To do it:
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile phone
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
- Go to the option “WhatsApp Web.”
- Click on the button “Close all sessions.”
Beyond Do Not Disturb Mode, many phones have a background data restriction option that causes an app not to work if we don’t open it. This may imply that they are not WhatsApp notifications coming even if you are receiving messages. You won’t see them until you open the app. Check that you do not have this option activated and thus you will rule out that this is the problem.
- Go to your mobile phone settings
- Open the applications section or section
- Choose the Applications / Application Manager option
- Find WhatsApp in the list
- Go to “Use of data.”
- Check that the Background data option is activated
Check mobile phone permissions
Another common failure is that we have installed WhatsApp, but we have not reviewed or accepted permissions. If we do not agree, the application may not work ultimately, or we may not be receiving notices. Review the permissions.
- Go to the settings of your Android mobile phone.
- Look for the “Applications” section.
- Choose WhatsApp among all those that appear.
- Click on “Permissions”
- Check that all are activated.
- Activates in case there is one that was not activated
- Try again if notifications have already been fixed.
Check that you have notifications activated.
You may have inadvertently turned off notifications when you received one, or you may have muted the app. In that case, go to WhatsApp to make sure that notifications are activated from the application itself and the phone.
- Go to WhatsApp
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
- Access the Notifications section
- Check that notification are turned on
Another option to check notifications is to block WhatsApp from the application information on your phone Android mobile, reviewing one by one.
- Press and hold the WhatsApp icon on your screen
- Click on the “Information” symbol
- The application information will open
- Tap in the first section, notifications
- Check that the switch is activated for all
- Go pressing one by one every notification or type of it
- Make sure the switch is on at all
You may not have received information because some guy was disabled from this menu. Once all are activated, they should arrive without a problem.
Chats and muted groups
If you want to fix WhatsApp notifications and all of the above works correctly, check that you don’t have muted groups or individual chats. It is possible that you have silenced some WhatsApp group or conversation and automatically you have muted the notifications and not only the sound. In that case, you can check them one by one.
- Click on the individual or group chat you want to check
- Tap on the contact name or group name
- Check that the section Mute notifications it’s off
- Go one by one to the chats you want to check
Remember that you can mute a conversation or group if you want it not to sound when there is a new message, but that does not have to eliminate the notifications. You can silence it for eight hours, a week or a year. When you do, remember to check “Show notifications” to keep them going as usual.